Hey everyone! This entry is my under-the-wire, last-minute entry into Redpath Sugar’s “The Happy Baker” baking challenge. I’ve only got a little while left to get this entry in, so I’ll be brief. No rambling in this post, I promise.
After a couple *cough*FOUR*cough* batches, I think I’ve perfected the Strawberry cupcake. At least what I think is the perfect strawberry cupcake. It’s sweet, it’s puffy, and it’s a little spicy. Like me! Especially the puffy part.
Feast your eyes on these babies:
The challenge of Redpath’s contest was to use a ‘creative’ ingredient in one of our favourite recipes. The day I came across the contest, I’d been eating a salad consisting of celery, strawberry and avocado, one of my fave flavour combinations. I thought I’d try my hand at seeing how these flavours might combine in the all-mighty cupcake. The answer is well, my friend. Well.
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 1/4 cup salted butter (room temp)
- 1 cup Redpath Granulated White Sugar
- 1 large egg (room temp)
- 2 egg whites (room temp)
- 1/4 cup whole milk (room temp)
- 1/2 cup defrosted frozen strawberries (pureed)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- A few drops strawberry flavoring (optional)
- Toothpick of pink gel food coloring (optional)
For the Avocado Buttercream:
- 1 medium sized avocado, blended in food processor
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 500g bag Redpath Icing Sugar
Some tasty Redpath sugar about to join the butter in Black Beauty. (Yes, I’ve named my Kitchenaid. Don’t you judge me.)
1. Cream butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy.
2. Whisk together dry ingredients in a separate bowl
3. Combine milk, strawberries and vanilla in another separate bowl. (Also combine a few drops of strawberry flavour and a toothpick tip of gel food colouring at this point if you like. Without these, the flavour and colour are more subtle, which is not necessarily a bad thing – I just like when the strawberry flavour full-on punches you in the nose.)
4. Slow mixer speed to medium-low and slowly add eggs to creamed butter and mix until combined, scraping sides of bowl.
5. With mixer set to “stir,” add dry ingredients in two batches, as well as wet ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed and only mix until just combined.
6. Use ice cream scoop to fill baking cups 3/4 of the way full.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating pan at 10 minutes.
Makes approximately 1 dozen cupcakes.
For the Avocado Buttercream: Mix blended avocado and butter together on medium high speed until light and fluffy, add sifted Redpath icing sugar one cup at a time, mixing between cups, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Icing is a great consistency for either spreading or piping.
As if these cupcakes weren’t awesome enough, let’s throw a little strawberry mousse in the centers of these babies, whynot. Whip up a pint of whipping cream along with 2 tablespoons of Redpath’s Instant Dissolving Sugar
using your whisk attachment. While cream is whipping, melt about 4 tablespoons of strawberry jelly in the microwave until no longer lumpy (but not hot!) Fold into whipped cream, then pipe into hollowed out cupcakes.
Enjoy the recipe kittens! If I *do* win, you may see me starring in a cooking spot alongside the lovely Erin Bolger
, author of the quirky The Happy Baker: A Dater’s Guide to Emotional Baking
. Her book is awesome. But you know what’s even more awesome? Her hair.
Have you seen those amazing wavy amber locks? Should I end up winning, I’ll do my best not to gawk, or ask her if I can touch them.
Remember what I said about the rambling? Clearly I lied.